01 09 10

Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Worst Home Office Ever! Help!

Well, well, well....I love being at home for the summer. Staying up late, sleeping late, eating when you feel like it, and going to the bathroom anytime you want...It's just great! Being a teacher is tough on you but sometimes I think staying at home might be a little tougher...on the psyche that is.

Case in point, my home office. I spend a lot of time here at the old desk working and blogging, hunting for teaching ideas, and creating products for my TPT store. It has never really bothered me but since staying home, it has really started to irk me. My office has become a dumping ground  for junk, sewing junk, craft supplies, just whatever. It really, really, really needs a makeover. And I'm getting ready to do just that.
Just look at this horrendous workspace!

Note: This is my office AFTER taking two truckloads of stuff to the landfill. Granted, only one truckload came from my office. But still, it was ridiculous. 

Hello, 1970's microwave stand. Would you like a home in my office? Sure...just sit over there next to the DEEP FREEZER! UGH! That little guy is definitely going to find a new home. 

Oh, and Hi There! Fifteen year old Walmart Special Computer desk that cannot be moved without running the risk of losing a finger or toe, or two. Yeah, you've got to go too. I can't stand you anymore.. I need a workspace, not a safety hazard!


 And check out my awesome friend, the 1960s-esque table lamp that is surely a rare and vintage antique originally used in some nameless black and white film. I tried to dress it up with a new shade..but nope...It's going too.

Ah, and my favorite pieces in the room. Walmart special...$29.99 particle board  bookshelf with it's mismatched twin sitting over there in the corner. Cram packed with crap I rarely use but can't bring myself to throw away. I'll get you my pretty...and your ugly twin too....(insert devious cackle here). 
 Oh yeah, I've lived in my house five years...and still haven't hung curtains. :-)

As far as the wall color...It reminds me somewhat of that first diaper change after my daughter was born. Ewwwwwww... I don't think I have the time, energy, or money to repaint it but I'm thinking maybe I can make it work with some matching furniture, new drapery, and accessories. I'm thinking some Chevron might do the trick on that window. :-) What do you think?

So I'm replacing the desk, and hopefully the two bookshelves. My new L-shaped Espresso colored desk will arrive tomorrow, in all it's glory and I cannot wait! I'm not sure what else to do with it. I am not a decorator in any means whatsover. I tried with my daughter's room and it looks like a bubble gum machine exploded in there. It's just not in my DNA. Or maybe its the fact that we moved so often when I was a kid that we never really decorated for fear of the next move.



So I ask for your help dear readers, help me make my workspace a better one. On a teacher's budget, what else can I do to make this space a better workspace that meets my needs and satisfies my need for organization and matchy-matchy-ness. (is that a word?) I love ideas and I'd love to hear what you all do with your own workspace. I plan on revealing the loveliness once I get it all finished up and maybe I can share some ideas with you as well!

Help a sister out!
Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment