01 09 10

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Grade Level? Yeah Right!

Greetings and Salutations from The Peach State!

Is it just me or has the weather brought out the crazies in your classroom?  Last week was quite treacherous at my school! But, alas, the weekend is over and I'm revved up for another week of wide open Common Core instruction. We don't have a spare minute in the day!

Anyway, to get on with this little post, I'll start with a story.My school has a FABULOUS leveled book room. You step into the room and all you see are brightly colored baskets with their fancy little Lexile labels and just know that you are going to find exactly what you need. And then reality kicks in..You are in a room, with over 500 little baggies of books and somehow you are supposed to find that one set of guided reading books that will meet the needs of your students while providing grade level text that they can actually READ. 
And my story ends there.. I didn't find what I needed. Yeah sure, there were lots of texts on the subject I needed (Famous Americans) that were specific to Georgia Standards, but cracking those books open gave me a shocker. 

Not a single text that I looked at was at the ability of my students.

Really and truly, what I wanted was a text that my students could interact with, write on, color, etc. I wanted something that they could keep as a review tool too. So I went to work..and ended up with a fun little series of books that served my exact purpose. Here is a peek at my creation! Click on the first image to head over to my TPT store for a better look!



And teachers...you can make books like these too. All it takes is a bit of work in Microsoft PowerPoint. 
Or, if you'd rather..I do take on some custom work as well!
Have a great week!
Randi



No comments:

Post a Comment