01 09 10

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Snap It Up Saturday! Our Government may be shut down...But we're still learning!

Yep...our Government is still shut down. The ridiculousness is touching the folks in our area like never before. I have several coworkers who are already feeling the strain due to having husbands who work in government offices. If they would hurry up and get those political panties out of a wad, we would all be in much better shape. 

But even with the shutdowns, we are pressing right on through and have jumped into our unit on American government feet first. This is such an abstract concept for third graders and we REALLY struggle to keep things organized. No matter how many Brainpop videos and SchoolHouse Rock tunes we learn, it still just doesn't click for them. But we teach it anyway, and we are trying something new this year. We are working on a lapbook activity that I created for class and the kids are really enjoying all of the foldables and things we are adding. Want to see what I'm talking about?  Below are pictures of a completed lapbook that I made to show my kids before we started. 



 So far it is going well...But again, government is a really abstract concept. Sometimes I wonder if it is developmentally appropriate for third graders, but hey...who I am I to create a curriculum. Anyway, for this week's Snap It Up Saturday! post, I've decided to give away this little foldable pack to all of my fantastic followers! I hope it is something that you find useful and your kids find a little more fun than traditional note-taking. Click on the picture below to head over to my TPT store and Snap It Up!

 I've also been working on other materials for my classroom, a few clipart sets, and a couple of bundles to add to the store as well. And I still have lots of work to do! Below you will find some of my most recent additions. There might be something you can use!






It has been a very busy week and I'm positive next week is going to be much the same. It's hard to believe I'm getting ready to write my first set of report cards already. The year is in motion and it is flying by. But now, I'm off to take the little girl fishing for the day. The weather here is beautiful and I'm going to take advantage of it!


Have a great weekend!


11 comments:

  1. I love your government freebie! Downloaded it to use in the spring!

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see what the kids did on the inside of the flaps. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the government freebie! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see the inside of the flaps as well! Please share. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to teach government. I would love to see the inside of the flaps also. Thanks for sharing. libby.lanford@nisd.us

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to teach government. I would love to see the inside of the flaps also. Thanks for sharing. libby.lanford@nisd.us

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Sometimes I wonder if it is developmentally appropriate for third graders, but hey...who I am I to create a curriculum." You're a teacher that have knowledge enough to have and share a right opinion in this matter. I don't have enough information to have a final conclusion but sometimes I think that the people that create curriculums, they have studies about it but no experience enough with children to understand that some concepts and topics is better to study with attention for later. Maybe work those topics with this kind of fun activities but not with tests cause at the end of the year mostly they wont remember all the informtion that usually is studied with this kind of topics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your lapbook activity. Where can I find these printables to purchase? I checked TPT, but could not locate it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your lapbook activity with this. Is there a way I can purchase this activity? I looked on TPT. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your lapbook activity. Where can I find these printables to purchase? I checked TPT, but could not locate it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your lapbook activity with this. Is there a way I can purchase this activity? I looked on TPT. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete